Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram

18 July 2012

My Identity

"Never stop striving for the best that is within you. Never stop hoping for all of the righteous desires of your hearts... You are destined for more than you can possibly imagine."
-Deiter F. Uctdorf

Have you ever wondered who you are?

I mean, I'm pretty well acquainted with myself, after twenty-two years of living in my own head I should be anyway, but who am I? If I was to abandon my perceptions of my own self that I have imposed on myself, what would I see? What I mean by that is, I have conditioned myself with certain ideas about who I am, how I would act in certain situations, things I like, etc. I think that I might be surprised by what I would become if I wasn't bound by my paradigm.

How do you have a paradigm shift about your own life? I guess that is my real question.

Stephen Covey makes the observation that post World War I, personality ethic replaced character ethic as the basic view of success. Instead of striving for "integrity, humility, fidelity, temperance, courage, justice, patience, industry, simplicity, modesty, and the Golden Rule," people have become obsessed with "personality, ...public image, ...attitudes and behaviors, skills and techniques, that lubricate the process of human interaction." Communication skills are definitely appropriate to learn but if we all developed our integrity wouldn't we naturally get along better? Plus we'd be way more sincere and trustworthy.

Nowadays people care a lot about what other people think of them. I'm beginning to think there is a direct correlation between how much someone cares about his lawn and how much they care about what other people think of them. I think that there are also others who don't do their lawns just because they don't care what other people think of them. Anyway, this personality ethic has made life such that you can't trust people the same way you did back in the day. I mean, I wasn't around "back in the day" but it was a simpler time. Even in the last twenty years I watched as we began to interact less and less with the neighbors in our court. Life has become more about networking than working things out, more about servicing than serving and more about trending than trusting.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out exactly who I am. Most of my life I have let myself be defined by others. More recently I have not worried so much about what other people think, but more about what I think of myself. I have plenty of imperfections, bad habits, things that I don't like about myself. I have allowed those aspects of my life to determine who I have become. My inner battles are fought by letting my shortcomings define me. If I could step back, look at my life and ignore all of the perceptions of myself that I have, what would I see? Would I be happy with who I am? Who I really am?

So, this post probably doesn't transition very well, and I apologize for that, I'm just typing out my thoughts after all. The nice thing is, I can decide to set aside my current paradigm, I'm just not sure how. I'd be interested to see what happens in my life if I didn't keep holding myself back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments family friendly. :D